Crave Something More exists to proclaim Jesus as the greatest satisfaction to every human need by pointing to His superior worth over anything else life can offer.
My name is Chris Tomlinson, and I am a businessman and writer. I grew up in Memphis, TN, went to college in Colorado Springs, spent 9 years in Los Angeles, and now live in Northern Virginia. But the best way to understand who I am is to understand what I love. So here goes:
1. I love Jesus. He is my King, my God, my Savior, my Advocate, my Brother, and my Friend. And oh what a poor friend I am to Him, but we’re working on that. I met Him when I was 8 years old, and He has been faithful to me ever since. He knows everything about me and loves me all the same. It is my life’s honor and treasure to be called by His Father and drawn by His Spirit into this marvelous relationship.
2. I love my wife, Anna. She is exactly what I need in a wife and friend, and she is the delight of my life. Here are a few things you should know about her. Anna loves Jesus. She also loves shoes, but not nearly as much as Jesus. She is funny. She is very discerning. Her favorite color is red. She is an incredible hiker. She is a Registered Dietician. She loves condiments. She has an incredible sense of style. And she is a great friend.
3. I love my family. I am blessed with parents who love each other and love their kids. My mom and dad are two of my closest confidants, and they are my new neighbors in NoVa as well. My brother, Scott, and his wife, Tracy, are models of Godly marriage, and they’re neighbors too. My in-laws, D2 and M2, are warm, loving, and really fun people. My sister-in-law Cara and her husband Matt would be our best friends if they weren’t already family; their daughter Kayli is my first and favorite niece. And my little-bro-in-law Aaron is like the little brother I never had. Literally.
4. I love my friends. I’m not a great friend myself, but I have great friends. When Anna and I lived in Los Angeles, we were part of an amazing community of believers called The Outlet who lived truly live life with one another. We miss them dearly. A handful of my high school and Air Force buddies are friends for life. And the new friends we’re making in NoVa are incredibly kind and generous people.
5. I love John Piper’s theology. Which means I love Charles Spurgeon’s theology, and Jonathan Edwards’, and John Calvin’s, and Augustine’s, and Paul’s. I am finding a God-centered, Christ-exalting, Gospel-saturated theology is a means for great humility, deep and abiding joy, and a sense of purpose and perspective in life I’ve never had before.
6. I love books. All kinds of books. I hate to get on the bandwagon for the most widely sold book of all time, but my favorite book is the Bible. My favorite children’s series was The Great Brain. My favorite comic book is Calvin & Hobbes. My favorite series of all time is The Chronicles of Narnia. My favorite old book is Pilgrim’s Progress. And my favorite new book is Desiring God.
7. I love to write. When I want to write in chapters, I write books. When I want to write in paragraphs, I write blog posts. When I want to write in sentences, I write microblog posts. When I want to write in words, I just put them on a piece of paper.
8. I love to surf. I lived in Los Angeles from 2000-2009, and my folks lived in Kauai for 8 years, so I have spent a fair share of my recent years in the water. I’ve surfed all over central and southern California, Costa Rica, Oahu, Kauai, and Indonesia. I should be much better than I actually am. I won’t be getting any better as there aren’t many waves in Northern Virginia. Trees, yes, but waves, no.
9. I love ACTS Ministry. In 2007, Anna and I went with 15 friends to Burkina Faso, West Africa, to support a growing Orphan Center. We fell in love with the people of Burkina Faso because of their beauty, their hospitality, their joy, their generous hearts, and their love for God. So we went back in 2008. And plan to go again soon. The woman who is leading this ministry is named Joanna (we call her Mama), and we have since become good friends. I currently serve on ACTS’s U.S. Board of Directors.
10. I like my dog a lot. Her name is Bear, and she is a Yorkiepoo, which is a mixture of a Yorkshire Terrier and a Poodle. She’s mostly Anna’s dog, and she has a pink leash and sometimes rides in Anna’s purse, but I secretly like her anyway.